[Python-Dev] Let's table the discussion of replacing 'global'

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Oct 27 12:23:40 EST 2003

[ on changing Python's global variable access mechanisms ]

I'm going to make a suggestion.  Let's shelve this topic for the time being
and simply summarize the issues in an informational PEP aimed at Py3k.  We
don't even know (at least I don't) if we want an implicit search for outer
scope variables or an explicit specification of which scope such variables
should be defined in.  If, for some reason, nested scopes make a quick exit
in Py3k, this would all be moot anyway.  It's not clear nested scopes really
offer anything to Python other than muddled semantics and a more complex
virtual machine implementation.

Skip