[Python-Dev] Re: accumulator display syntax

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Wed Oct 22 12:23:43 EDT 2003

In article <16278.34154.245725.959203 at montanaro.dyndns.org>,
 Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
[ re a long expression of mine ]
>     pos2d = dict([(s,(positions[s][0]+dx*positions[s][2],
>                       positions[s][1]+dy*positions[s][2]))
>                      for s in positions])
>     pos2d = {s: (positions[s][0]+dx*positions[s][2],
>                  positions[s][1]+dy*positions[s][2])
>                 for s in positions}
>
> The extra characters required today are less of a problem if the expression
> is laid out sensibly.

I have to admit, your indentation is better than mine, even if you
ignore the problems caused by my using lines wider than 80 characters.
But I still feel the second of your two alternatives more clearly
expresses the intent of the expression.

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/