[Python-Dev] Re: buildin vs. shared modules

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 16:20:48 EDT 2003

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

>> After installing MSVC6 on a win98 machine, where I could rename
>> wsock32.dll away (which was not possible on XP due to file system
>> protection), I was able to change socketmodule.c to use delay loading of
>> the winsock dll.  I had to wrap up the WSAStartup() call inside a
>> __try {} __except {} block to catch the exception thrown.
>>
>> With this change, _socket (and maybe also select) could then also be
>> converted into builtin modules.
>>
>> Guido, what do you think?
>
> I think now is a good time to try this in 2.4.  I don't think I'd want
> to do this (or any of the proposed reorgs) in 2.3 though.

One (very mild) point - this is highly MSVC-specific. I don't know if
there is ever going to be any interest in (for example) getting Python
to build with Mingw/gcc on Windows, but there's no equivalent of this
in Mingw (indeed, Mingw doesn't, as far as I know, support
__try/__except either).

But in the absence of anyone who is working on a Mingw build, this is
pretty much irrelevant...

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank