[Python-Dev] prePEP: Money data type

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Oct 21 15:31:10 EDT 2003

[Guido]
> Remember, a Decimal implementation following the IEEE 854 specs and
> Mike Cowlishaw's design and tests exists in the nondist part of the
> Python source tree, thanks to Eric Pierce ...

s/Pierce/Price/

[Batista, Facundo]
> Meaning that I should extend/finish it or meaning that Money should
> not repeat that work and get specific with money issues?

Meaning that there's an existing body of work that's already been informed
by years of design debate (IBM's proposed decimal standard), and an involved
Python implementation of that.  What happens next depends on who can make
time to do something next.

> Can't find it in the CVS, specific path?

IBM's proposed standard:

   http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/decimal/

Eric's implementation:

   http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/nondist/sandbox/decimal/