[Python-Dev] Re: accumulator display syntax

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 21 09:41:39 EDT 2003

Guido van Rossum strung bits together to say:

> except compactness of exprssion.  How frequent is
>
>   result = 0.0
>   for x in S:
>       result += x**2
>
> ???
>
> (I've already said my -1 about your 'sum of ...' proposal.)

Just so this suggestion doesn't get buried in the part of the thread where I was
getting rather carried away about Greg's 'of' syntax (sorry!).

What about:

   result + x**2 from result = 0.0 for x in S

Essentially short for:
   result = 0.0
   for x in S:
     result = result + x**2

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan           |              Brisbane, Australia
ICQ#: 68854767         |               ncoghlan at email.com
Mobile: 0409 573 268   |   http://www.talkinboutstuff.net
"Let go your prejudices,
               lest they limit your thoughts and actions."