list.sort, was Re: [Python-Dev] decorate-sort-undecorate

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Oct 17 12:13:37 EDT 2003

    >> If anything at all, i'd suggest a std-module which contains e.g.
    >> 'sort', 'reverse' and 'extend' functions which always return
    >> a new list, so that you could write:
    >>
    >> for i in reverse(somelist):

    Gustavo> You can do reverse with [::-1] now.

I don't think that is considered "stable" in the sorting sense.  If I sort
in descending order vs ascending order, they are not mere reversals of each
other.  I may well still want adjacent records whose sort keys are
identical to remain in the same order.

What will the new reverse=True keyword arg do?

Skip