[Python-Dev] accumulator display semantics

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Oct 16 13:45:26 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> [Aahz]
>>
>> I'm having a difficult time following this discussion.  Would someone
>> please write a PEP once things settle down?
>
> Peter's link is essentially a PEP already and covers all the essentials:
>
>    http://www.norvig.com/pyacc.html

Gotcha.  Didn't realize he'd been summarizing the discussion.  Well,
I'll hold my opinion on the whole proposal pending a PEP, but I'll make
two comments on the proposal as it stands:

* I'm strongly opposed to the return idea instead of raising
StopAccumulation (which should be a subclass of StopIteration).  Using
return this way is IMO unPythonic.

* If we're using bracket notation, I think accumulators must return a
list.  I think it would be a Bad Idea to permit other types (although I'm
willing for leeway to permit list subclasses).

--Bill Harlan