[Python-Dev] IPv6 in Windows binary distro

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 10 18:20:07 EDT 2003

Michael Hudson wrote:

> Did the 2.3 builds have IPv6 support?  Then this would be a nasty
> regression.  However, I *thought* that you had to build with VC++ 7 or
> higher to get IPv6 support on Windows, and we've never done that.

No, 2.3 did not have IPv6. You don't strictly need VC7, though - if
you have the SDK installed in addition to VC6, you could also include
IPv6 support. PC/pyconfig.h does not detect this case automatically,
so you would have to manually activate this support (i.e. include
winsock2.h).

Apart from that, you are right - IPv6 is not supported in the Windows
builds because of lacking support in the compiler's header files.

Regards,
Martin