[Python-Dev] Patches & Bug help revisited

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 10 15:29:11 EDT 2003

Michael Bartl wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I found myself mentioned in the summary so I thought I'd drop a line
> again. After my inital offer to help I started with reviewing and
> writing (very simple) patches. To be more explicit: patch 813200,
> patch 810914, bug 810408, 811082, (can't remember the rest from
> memory, can provide a better list later).
>
> I was quite wondering that no-one seemed to have a look at the patches,
> but thought that this might be due to the pressing 2.3.2 release.
>
> I find patch writing rather unsatisfying if they aren't applied (or
> rejected <wink> :)

Sorry about no one getting to your patches, Michael.  The help is truly
appreciated, even if no one has gotten around to looking at them.

As for why no one has dealt with them, Python 2.3.2 was part of it.  The
other issue is just people on python-dev being busy.  Beyond a handful
of people, not everyone goes through the new patches, bugs, etc. because
of time constraints and having to prioritize what time they have to work
on Python.  It is an unfortunate drawback of having everyone who works
on Python be a volunteer (this can be solved if someone gave the PSF
*tons* of money and thus could sponsor someone to work on Python full
time, but I haven't won the lottery yet  =).

Someone will get to them at some point, I promise.  If anything I will
get to them because I am going to go through all the patch items in the
near future; I will reach the end at some point.  =)

-Brett