[Python-Dev] Banishing apply(), buffer(), coerce(), and intern()

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Fri Nov 28 16:14:40 EST 2003

> I would like to nominate input() also. It is often misused by
beginners.
> A better choice is almost always raw_input(). In the standard library,
> fpformat.py seems to be the only one using it. Further, I see
> Demo/classes/Dbm.py uses it, but that seems to be all. How about
> banishing input() too?

I won't name names, but input() has a very important friend who happens
to be a dictator, the author of the tutorial, and the creator of a well
thought out programming language.

The risks are clearly documented.  So no one can't say they weren't
warned.

Also, it does have its uses and is friendly to beginning programmers who
don't enjoy having to coerce strings back to the data type they actually
wanted.  Also, it is somewhat nice to be able enter expressions in
personal, interactive scripts.

all-builtins-have-at-least-one-friend,

Raymond Hettinger