[Python-Dev] Time for 2.3.3?

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Fri Nov 21 11:54:28 EST 2003

> > It looks like someone have backported the changes done in test_re.py.
> > These tests were expected to fail with the SRE from 2.3.
>
> The tests are never expected to fail, so I think you mean that test_re in
> 2.3 should expect (and suppress) the RuntimeError in these cases.

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for not being clear.

> It looks like Anthony changed this most recently:
>
>     test_re.py
>     Revision 1.45.6.1
>     Tue Nov 4 14:11:01 2003 UTC (2 weeks, 3 days ago) by anthonybaxter
>     Branch: release23-maint
>     Changes since 1.45: +9 -7 lines
>
>     get tests working again. partial backport of 1.46 - I fixed the
>     recursive tests that used to fail, but left test_re_groupref_exists
>     disabled, as it fails on the release23-maint branch. Maybe something
>     else needs to be backported?

Yes, he seems to belive that the new SRE scheme was introduced in 2.3,
but these tests should still expect RuntimeError in 2.3.

> We've got more than one problem here, then, because Barry reports that
> test_re on release23-maint, as it exists today, does *not* fail on a
> RedHat 9 build.  So if Anthony reverted that change, test_re would
> pass again on Windows, but would start to fail on RH9.

That's strange indeed. Either other changes were introduced in 2.3
which changed the number of recursions, what I don't belive to be
the case, or the fixed recursion limit was raised in that platform.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net