[Python-Dev] more-precise instructions for "Python.h first"?

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
31 May 2003 18:28:25 +0200

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Anyway, the point is that I'd like to have the rule changed to "You
> have to include Python.h or xxxx.h before any system header" where
> xxxx.h is one of the other existing headers #included in Python.h that
> is responsible for setting up whatever macros cause this
> inclusion-order requirement in the first place (preferably not
> LongObject.h!)

If I understand correctly, you want to follow the rule "I want to
change things as long it continues to work for me". For that, you
don't need any permission. If it works for you, you can ignore any
rules you feel uncomfortable with.

The rule is there for people who don't want to understand the specific
details of system configuration. If you manage to get a consistent
configuration in a different way, just go for it. You should make sure
then that your users can't run into problems, though.

Regards,
Martin