[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.2.3c1

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Sat, 24 May 2003 13:08:33 -0300

> > I have some time this weekend to work on Python. Do you think it'd be ok
> > to backport some of the fixes we have introduced in the regular
> > expression engine in 2.3 to 2.2.3, or is it too late? We have a sf patch
> > open about that, but I'd like to port only the changes that don't
> > require major changes in the engine.
>
> I strongly advise to defer such changes to 2.2.4. This is really
> tricky code, and changes should ideally be reviewed by three different
> experts (including the author of the changes).

Ack. I'll wait until 2.2.3 is out to touch that code. I'll look for
something else to do on Python this weekend. If you need any help
with 2.2.3, please contact me.

> > Also, have you seen the message about urllib2 I sent a few days ago?
> > Would that be something important to have in 2.2.3 (or even in 2.3)?
>
> Nothing that is not in 2.3 right now can go into 2.2.3. Only backports
> of accepted changes should be applied to the 2.2 branch.

Ok. I'll let alone 2.2.3, and fix that behavior in urllib2 for 2.3.

> > Do you plan to produce another release candidate?
>
> My understanding is that there was only one release candidate
> planned. Changes that require another release candidate should not be
> applied right now, since another release candidate won't give them the
> testing that they need.

Agreed.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]