[Python-Dev] Simple dicts

damien morton dmorton@bitfurnace.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 07:29:56 -0400

Not so simple after all, or maybe too simple.

My 'simple' largedict test was simplistic and flawed, and a more
thorough test shows a slowdown on large dicts. I was inserting,
accessing, and deleting the keys without randomising the order, and once
randomised, cache effects kicked in. The slowdown isnt too huge though.

Further testing against small dicts shows a much larger slowdown.

The 5% improvement in pystone results still stands, but I think the main
reason for the improvement is that I had inlined some fail-fast tests
into ceval.c

Oh well, back to the drawing board.