[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 08 May 2003 13:37:51 +0200

Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> as I read
>> the quotes on the VC compiler included in the .NET SDK, it will only
>> generate code that runs with the .NET libs installed. Could be wrong,
>> though.
>
> Uh?  The VC compiler included with the .NET SDK can only generate
> managed code? I don't think so...

That's what I read in messages on this topic on google groups.
I've just downloaded the SDK myself and will probably give it
a go later today.

>> Given that tools like distutils probably don't work
>> out of the box with the VC7 compiler suite, I'd wait at least
>> another release before making VC7 binaries the default on
>> Windows.
>
> Actually I have VC6 *and* VC7 in my at-work machine, python22 (Standard
> distribution, VC6 based), python 23b1 (Standard, VC6 based) and python
> cvs, wich I manually build with VC7.
> I can build/install distutils packages choosing wich environment to use
> (6 or 7) and python to use (22, 23b1, 23 head).
> So I think this is a no-problem...

That's good to know (btw, how do you tell distutils which VC
version to use ? or does it find out by itself using the
Python time machine ;-).

> But isn't possible, at least, to have a 'not-default' release compiled
> with VC7?
>
> It can be a boost for having other *complicated* packages released with
> VC7 among with VC6 (I'm thinking at wxPython, and so...)

If someone volunteers to maintain such a branch, I suppose
there's nothing preventing it :-)

Perhaps we should look at the offer in a different light...

What advantage would the move from VC6 to VC7 give Python users ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, May 08 2003)
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                        47 days left