[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Phil Thompson phil@riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Wed, 7 May 2003 09:02:46 +0100

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 2:17 am, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Phil Thompson]

> > If it's free, why pay any attention to the offer of a donation of a GUI
> > frontend? (With a certain amount of irony, I don't attach any
> > value to a GUI frontend to a compiler.)
>
> The GUI isn't just the compiler, it's also the automated dependency
> analysis, a make system, and a (very good) debugger.
>
> > If it is free using some Microsoft definition of the word (eg.
> > users have to upgrade to Win2K, or some other "read the small print"
> > reason) then my vote is -1.
>
> Guido asked who would want one.  You don't, but you don't get to vote that
> nobody else does either.

That's not the point I'm trying to make. If there is a cost to *users* of a
change then that change must be managed properly. The statement on
Microsoft's web page says...

"Non-developers need to install the .NET Framework 1.1 to run applications
developed using the .NET Framework 1.1."

The impression I'm getting is that a quick switchover to VC 7 is being
suggested - that's what I'm "voting" against.

Phil