[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Paolo Invernizzi paoloinvernizzi@dmsware.com
Wed, 07 May 2003 09:12:34 +0200

Mark Hammond wrote:

>Another thing to consider is the "make" environment.  If we don't use
>DevStudio, then presumably our existing project files will become useless.
>Not a huge problem, but a real one.  MSVC exported makefiles are not
>designed to be maintained.  I'm having good success with autoconf and Python
>on other projects, but that would raise the barrier to including cygwin in
>your build environment.

I think the scons (www.scons.org) will have in its next release full
support for building targets using VC6 *project* file, and full support
for VC7.
Actually it has support also for cygwin and mingw...

So I think is possible to have an automated way for building VC7 python
based only on some scons script and VC6 project files...
The possible goal is to keep working with VC6 IDE as now, and have a
simple build script able to automatically build the VC7 version tracking
changes..

I've inserted Greg Spencer, who I know is working on this... surely he
can bring us more details.

---
Paolo Invernizzi.