[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Phil Thompson phil@riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Wed, 7 May 2003 00:57:10 +0100

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 8:24 pm, Brian Quinlan wrote:
> > I can see the downside (next to no experience with 7.x, and perhaps
>
> none
>
> > before the final release).  What's the upside?
>
> It's free and more standards compliant.

This is what I'm struggling with.

If it's free, why pay any attention to the offer of a donation of a GUI
frontend? (With a certain amount of irony, I don't attach any value to a GUI
frontend to a compiler.)

If it is free using some Microsoft definition of the word (eg. users have to
upgrade to Win2K, or some other "read the small print" reason) then my vote
is -1.

If it is really free then submit a PEP and factor it in to the normal
review/development process.

I don't understand the apparent urgency.

Phil