[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Paul Moore lists@morpheus.demon.co.uk
Tue, 06 May 2003 22:19:31 +0100

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

>> Visual Studio 2003 came out a few weeks ago.  I honestly don't know if
>> its considered VC8 or just VC7.1 with the same backend compilers.  But if
>> you're going to upgrad, you might as well go all the way.
>
> Good question.
>
>> Also, I'm assuming 2.3 will still be compiled on 6.0, right?
>
> Hm, I was thinking that 2.3 final could be built using 7.x if Nick can
> get us the donated copies fast enough.

If this means that those of us with VC6, and with no plans/reasons to
upgrade can no longer build our own extensions, this would be a
disaster.

Surely VC7-compiled C programs can be built in such a way as to be
link-compatible with VC6-compiled extensions??? (Wait, this is
Microsoft...)

Please *don't* build 2.3 final with VC7. If you're going to switch,
give users more warning, and test builds - I would need at least to
find out if I could build extensions against a VC7-compiled Python
using mingw...

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank