[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 6 May 2003 15:57:04 -0400

Brian Quinlan writes:
 > 1. 3rd party extension developers will have to switch very quickly to be
 >    ready for the 2.3 release

A very real issue, to be sure.

 > 2. Some 3rd party extension developers may have already released
 >    binaries for Python 2.3, based on the understanding that there won't
 >    be any additional API changes after the first beta (baring a
 >    disaster).

I'm not convinced that's a huge problem, though it could be an
annoyance.

 > 3. I believe that the installer normally preserves site-packages when
 >    doing an upgrade? If so, the user is going to be left with extension
 >    modules that won't work.

Yes, but site-packages is specific to the major.minor version of
Python, so it would only bite people going from an alpha/beta to a
final release, not from major.minor-1.  Is this really an issue?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation