RedHat 9 _random failure under -pg (was Re: [Python-Dev] Startup time)

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
06 May 2003 21:25:20 +0200

Jeff Epler <jepler@unpythonic.net> writes:

> Well, this may have been false alarm -- when I removed -pg from OPT in
> the Makefile, './python -c "import random"' works.  So this is a problem
> only when profiling is enabled.  Is this intended to work?

You mean, is the gcc option -pg supposed to work? As a Python
developer: How am I supposed to know? As a gcc developer: yes,
certainly.

> In any case, the fact that the disassembly is so plainly bogus tends to
> imply that this is a gcc bug, not anything that Python can fix.

That seems to be the case, yes. Python can only work-around, but in
this case, the work-around seems trivial.

Regards,
Martin