[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Thomas Heller theller@python.net
06 May 2003 20:48:12 +0200

Neil Schemenauer <nas@python.ca> writes:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I can see advantages and disadvantages of moving to VC 7; I'm sure the
> > VC 7 compiler is more standard-compliant and generates faster code,
> > but a disadvantage is that you can't apparently link binaries built
> > with VC 6 to a program built with VC 7, meaning that 3rd party
> > extensions will have to be recompiled with VC 7 as well.
>
> Can distutils use (or be made to use) the free command line VC 7 tools?

The only problem distutils has is to find the compiler and the
environment it needs. Currently it relies on (undocumented) registry
entries (for VC6), and there's a patch somewhere on SF for the registry
entries for VC7.

I like the idea of using VC7 (as much as I dislike the VC7 gui itself).
'Professional' windows developers have VC7 anyway, it's included in MSDN
professional.

Thomas