[Python-Dev] Windows installer request...

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen@NAREX.com
Mon, 5 May 2003 22:40:04 -0600

> From: Tim Peters [mailto:tim.one@comcast.net]=20
>=20
> [Bjorn Pettersen]
> > Would it be possible for the windows installer to use=20
> > $SYSTEMDRIVE$ as the default installation drive instead=20
> > of C:?
[...]

> Are you saying that the "Select Destination Directory" dialog=20
> box doesn't allow you to select your E: drive?  Or just=20
> that you'd rather not need to select the drive you want?

Most installers default to the system drive, so I didn't even look the
first time. I am able to change it manually.

> > If it's considered a good idea, and someone can point me to=20
> > where the change has to be made, I'd be more than willing to=20
> > produce a patch...
>=20
> I apparently left this comment in the Wise script:
>=20
>     Note from Tim:  doesn't seem to be a way to get the true=20
>     boot drive, the Wizard hardcodes "C".
>=20
> So, AFAIK, there isn't a straightforward way to get Wise 8.14=20
> to suggest a drive other than C:.

It should be as easy as (platforms that doesn't have %systemdrive% could
only install to C:):

 item: Get Environment Variable
   Variable=3DOSDRIVE
   Environment=3DSystemDrive
   Default=3DC:
 end

However, you might have to do

 item: Get Registry Key Value
   Variable=3DOSDRIVE
   Key=3DSystem\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
   Value Name=3DSystemDrive
   Flags=3D00000100
   Defualt=3DC:
 end

(not sure about the Flags parameter) I couldn't find much documentation,
and the example I'm looking at is a litte "divided" about which it
should use... I think it tries the first one, and falls back on the
second(?) (http://ibinstall.defined.net/dl_scripts.htm,
script_6016.zip/IBWin32Setup.wse).

Also, it looks like you want to use %SYS32% to get to the windows system
directory (on WinXP, it's c:\windows\system32, which doesn't seem to be
listed anywhere...)

I can't figure out how you're building the installer however. If you can
point me in the right direction I can test it on my special WinXP,
regular WinXP, Win98, Win2k, and maybe WinNT4 (I think we still have one
around :-).

-- bjorn