[Python-Dev] Re: [Pydotorg] updated notes about building bsddb185 module

Andrew MacIntyre andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au
Sat, 3 May 2003 09:45:27 +1100 (edt)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Martin> Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     >> Feedback appreciated.
>
>     Martin> I think we need to build bsddb185 automatically under certain
>     Martin> conditions. I have encouraged a user to submit a patch in that
>     Martin> direction.
>
> I suppose that's an alternative, however, it is complicated by a couple
> issues:
>
>     * The bsddb185 module would have to be built as bsddb (not a big deal in
>       and of itself).
>
>     * The current bsddb package directory would have to be renamed or not
>       installed to avoid name clashes.
>
> I don't think there's a precedent for the second issue.  The make install
> target installs everything in Lib.  I think The decision about whether the
> package or the module gets installed would be made in setup.py.  The
> coupling between the two increases the complexity of the process.  I smell
> an ugly hack in the offing.

Could you not have the following?
 - build bsddb if the Sleepycat libraries are found;
 - build bsddb185 if the DB 1.85 libraries can be found;
 - where bsddb is imported, try importing bsddb, and if that
   fails try importing bsddb185 as bsddb (or as * inside the bsddb pkg).

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia