[Python-Dev] iconv codec

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
31 Mar 2003 23:41:50 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> Assuming the NG label means this is a completely new implementation, I
> propose we drop the current iconv implementation immediately and
> consider the NG version as we would consider any newly contributed
> module at this point in time (i.e. at most two weeks before the first
> beta of 2.3 is released).

Ok. Given the reported problems with the iconv module, and the
prospect of getting a complete rewrite, I'll back out the current
code.

This is quite sad, IMO, as the code *is* useful for the platforms on
which it works, and this *is* the majority of the installations on
which it is currently built.

Regards,
Martin