[Python-Dev] iconv codec

Hye-Shik Chang perky@fallin.lv
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:04:17 +0900

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 09:42:50AM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Since the introduction of the iconv codec there have been numerous
> bug reports related to the codec and the lack of cross platform
> support for it (ranging from: the codec doesn't compile and the
> codec doesn't support standard names for common encodings to
> core dumps in the linking phase).
>
> I'd like to question whether the codec is really ready for prime
> time yet. Right now it causes people more trouble than it does
> any good.

iconv_codec NG is ready to submit to SF. I think the newer
implementation can resolve many of the patch reports. I'll submit
it in a few days. If you have a time, you can review my patches
before my submission. The patch includes ko, zh_CN, zh_TW codecs, also.

A note about another problems on the current iconv_codec:
http://fallin.lv/cvs/~checkout~/py-multibytecodec/reports/iconv.1

The multibytecodecs which is in my patch submission queue:
http://fallin.lv/distfiles/py-multibytecodec-030331.tar.gz

> OTOH, without some field testing the codec will never get into
> shape for prime time, so perhaps it would be better to only
> enable it via a configure option or make a failure to compile
> the codec as painless as possible.

I agree.

    Hye-Shik =)