[Python-Dev] python-dev Summary for 2003-03-01 through 2003-03-15

Ben Laurie ben@algroup.co.uk
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:11:09 +0000

Zooko wrote:
>>Capabilities can loosely be thought of like bound methods.  Security with
>>capabilities is done based on possession; if you hold a reference to an
>>object you can use that object.
>

> No -- capabilities (as envisioned for Python) are references.  Whether a
> reference to an object, to a bound method, or to a function doesn't matter.
>
> Note that it isn't that capabilities are "like" references, it is that
> capabilities *are* references.  Every reference is a capability.  Every
> capability is a reference.

I should note that this is a new (and good) idea, not one that we've
previously expressed. And, of course, they are references with
restrictions, which will be spelt out in the PEP.

Cheers,

Ben.