[Python-Dev] capabilities & proxies (python-dev Summary for 2003-03-01 through 2003-03-15)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:27:14 +0100

Ben Laurie wrote:
> Brett Cannon wrote:
>
>> Capabilities can loosely be thought of like bound methods.  Security with
>> capabilities is done based on possession; if you hold a reference to an
>> object you can use that object.
>

> This confusion is my fault: I just happened to like using bound methods
> as the basis for capabilities, but objects can also be used, so long as
> access to them is appropriately restricted. This is explained in detail
> in the PEP I am writing (with help from others, I should note).
>
>> Proxies are a wrapper around objects that restrict access to the object.
>> This restriction extends all the way to the core; even core code can't
>> get
>> access to parts of a proxied object that it doesn't want any object to
>> get
>> a hold of.
>
> Its not clear to me what you mean by "core code" - certainly anything
> written in C can slice through a proxy without any problems (or, indeed,
> a capability).

That's certainly true...

BTW, just in case you aren't aware of it, mxProxy implements pretty
much what Brett summarized here for proxies. You may want to have
a look.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 18 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     14 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                        98 days left