[Python-Dev] RE: Windows IO

David LeBlanc whisper@oz.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:01:38 -0800

> > 2. Is there any way to know if a console is being used (that a
> > device is the console)?

> True
> True
> False

J:\>python
Python 2.2.1 (#34, Jul 16 2002, 16:25:42) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import sys
>>> sys.stdout.isatty()
64

Have we discovered the mystery of life at last? "True" is 64? :)
NOTE: PythonDoc says "isatty" is Unix only.

> This really belongw on c.l.py, where it gets asked frequently enough.

Sorry, I thought a Python "guts" question would be ok here and likely to get
better informed answers than over on the (more or less) application side of
the house.

> I haven't paid attention to the answers.  Fredrik's Console extension for
> Windows should tickle your fancy:

I'll take a look at it. Meanwhile, someone has kindly sent me source for a
PDCurses binding for Python.

Thanks to everyone for their answers! I'd like to thank the Academy, the
Screen Actor's Guild and especially, Timbot, who helped make it all possible
:) ;)

Regards,

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA