[Python-Dev] Py2.3 Todo List

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
23 Jun 2003 08:18:48 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> Why is that ? The proposed APIs will work just like their
> counterparts for the internal Unicode/string conversion which
> have proven to quiet down discussions about choosing ASCII
> as default encoding. I expect the same to happen for the
> Python source code encoding default.

It just occurred to me that these people can put

import warnings
warnings.filterwarnings("ignore", ".*pep-0263", DeprecationWarning)

into site.py to achieve nearly the same effect that they would get
with sys.setsourceencoding.

People are probably concerned about the flood of warnings, and they
want to silence them, so that everything continues to work as it did
before. Ignoring those warnings appears to be the right solution,
then.

If they want to make use of the new features (i.e. non-ASCII in
Unicode literals), they still need to put an encoding declaration into
the file. However they are probably willing to do that, as they are
editing the file, anyway.

Regards,
Martin