[Python-Dev] More work on SRE

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:20:25 -0300

> > There's a new version of the patch
> >
> >     http://www.python.org/sf/757624
> >
> > I understood there was some problems with the first implementation,
> > and changed some aspects of how the new implementation works to fix them.
>
> BDFL Pronouncement: let's not add this to the 2.3 release.  We can add
> it to CVS after 2.3 is out the door and it will be included in the 2.3
> release.
>
> You were so convinced that everything was right (after all, the tests
> passed :-), and now you're admitting there were still problems.  So

Unfortunately, I was wrong. Some tests in re_tests were failing, and
I couldn't see that until I've fixed the two tests in test_re.py that
failed *expecting* the recursion explosion (that's something we have
to change, making re_tests.py run even if some test fails in test_re.py).

Btw, I was not convinced everything was right, I was convinced the
implementation was simple enough, and it was ready to be tested further,
and that we could go back easily until 2.3, as you probably remember.

> prudence requires me to assume that there will be more problems,
> because the new version is more complicated than the previous one.

That's why I've sent the message and asked for testers, without
committing the code. I understand your position, and agree partially.
The only point that makes me wonder if it wouldn't be nice to try
adding this to 2.3 is that many bugs were fixed by this implementation,
besides the recursion problem.

Anyway, I'll keep working on it, and testing it, being on 2.3 or not.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net