[Python-Dev] Py2.3 Todo List

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:31:04 +0200

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>=20
>>It was planned for 2.3 several months ago. The fact that
>>it isn't in there yet is mostly my fault: I didn't have time
>>to cook up a patch and forgot to ask here for other
>>volunteers.
>=20
> You mean, this was your plan?

Partly, yes. Guido and I decided to add this feature in private
discussions with Python users who were strongly opposed to
the PEP 263 way of forcing the ASCII encoding onto existing
Python source code.

> I am not aware of such a plan, and it is
> not part of the approved PEP 263. I would strongly object to such a
> change.

Why is that ? The proposed APIs will work just like their
counterparts for the internal Unicode/string conversion which
have proven to quiet down discussions about choosing ASCII
as default encoding. I expect the same to happen for the
Python source code encoding default.

>>This feature is needed to calm down concerns of non-ASCII
>>Python users who want to customize Python to better suit
>>their needs for both educational and production use
>>purposes.
>=20
> People who want such a feature will have to fork Python. However, most
> users will accept to put encoding declarations into their source code.
> They will curse, and then they will get over it.

No need to fork Python :-) They can customize their site.py
settings to their liking; of course, they will also have to live
with the consequences, just as the users who tweak the default
encoding of the interpreter.

"Practicality beats purity."

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 21 2003)
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                         3 days left