[Python-Dev] IDLEfork Re-integration into Python

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk@shore.net
Thu, 05 Jun 2003 17:44:11 -0400

Guido has indicated that he would like IDLEfork to be integrated as
.../src/Lib/idlelib/ instead of living under Tools/.

To avoid losing history, a simple approach is to request the SF admins
to add the IDLEfork RCS tree as .../src/Lib/idlelib/.  I can make a
small change to IDLEfork's CVS tarball to turn it into what's needed:
remove the CVSROOT and website directories and repackage the tarball
so the idle/ directory is renamed idlelib/ and is the top level.

Once IDLE is in place in the new location, there are a number of
things which need to be done.  Here's my list; I'm sure there are
other tasks that I'm not aware of, or better ways to do this, and I'd
appreciate comments.

1. Change any references to idlefork to idle.

2. Simplify the scripts:  idle, idle.py, idle.pyw

3. Eliminate setup.py, MANIFEST.in, LICENSE, and boolcheck.py (and
   associated references in the code)

4. Move the interruptmodule.c to /Modules.  Eliminate the 2.2
   compatibility code from the beginning of the file.
   Should the file be renamed?

5. Make the necessary changes to .../python/src/setup.py to
   build the interrupt extension.

6. Make needed changes to setup.py and the Windows installer to place
   the idle script in .../bin/ and idle.bat/idle.pyw in Scripts on
   Windows so that IDLE will continue to launch as it currently does.
   Maybe Tim could take a peek at this and tell me what ought to be
   done and by whom.

7. Rename files like NEWS.txt to NEWS to match Python standards.
   Should IDLE continue its own NEWS?  (I'd vote yes.)

8. Tweak .../Tools/idle/setup.py to install at
   .../site-packages/old_idlelib (with the bin script named similarly)
   so if someone /did/ do an install there would not be a conflict.
   Maybe this should be done first?

9. Apply the forwardport patches from the IDLEfork Tracker

--
KBK