[Python-Dev] alternate pserver access for python CVS?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 06 Jul 2003 09:56:39 -0400

> > Downloading a tarball means you have to know how to set up a CVS
> > repository, which most CVS users never need to do these days.  (It's
> > easy, but I probably wouldn't be able to do it myself without having
> > to study the manual for 15 minutes, and I've done it before!)
> >
> > Downloading a tarball also means that each time you want to get a
> > newer version, you have to redo the steps to set up the repository.
>
> Hmm, I was thinking of the tarball that you get by doing a clean
> checkout and then zipping everything up. I believe that's what
> Martin is doing.

Right, and so is http://cvs.perl.org/snapshots/python/python/.  Only
SF itself is making tarballs of the CVS *repository* available (as you
mention below).  If these files aren't mirrorred somewhere, we really
should -- SF says "please ensure your project has established a backup
plan" in the same paragraph where it gives the tarball link.