[Python-Dev] Re: Re: native code compiler? (or, OCaml vs. Python)

Dan Sugalski dan@sidhe.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:44:57 -0500

At 5:55 PM -0500 1/30/03, Terry Reedy wrote:
>"Graham Guttocks" <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
>>  Dan Sugalski <dan@sidhe.org> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > It's actually not all that tough
>>
>>  Oh? Guido seems to disagree with you.
>
>No contradiction or disagreement.  It is not all that tough to do
>something of limited benefit, such as pre-interpreting Python byte
>codes into a series of function calls in some
>compilable-to-machine-code language.  It is *must* harder to do
>something much more useful, which is all Guido would be interested in.

You underestimate the benefit in the first case, and the second case
isn't really much more difficult. I expect one of the several reasons
that nobody's pursued this is that the current interpreter is deemed
fast enough, which is a perfectly good reason to not bother going
further.
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk