[Python-Dev] Extended Function syntax

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:18:58 -0500

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Can't we do something along the lines of "import as"? I.e. allow either
> one or two identifiers after a def, and if there's two then the first
> one changes what happens? Then we could say
>
> def property foo:

That sounds good to me, but what about the syntax for the actual
property functions?  Are you suggesting:

def property foo:
    def __get__(self):
    def __set__(self, value):

> Hmm, the __name__'s of various builtin types are not exposed in any
> namespace, are they? Otherwise we could say that "def foo():" is really
> a shorthand for "def xxx.function foo():", and maybe even "class Bar:"
> for "def xxx.classobj Bar:"

Do you perhaps mean "def function foo" and "def class Bar"?
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."  --Richard Bach