[Python-Dev] python2.3 on m68k-nommu uClinux, really slow

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:55:25 -0500

I'm sorry if this is OT. I have just managed to get Python 2.3a running on an 8meg
m68k-nommu 48MHZ (motorola uC5272 board).

It's a real dog, and I'm wondering two things:

1. anyone remember pystone values from old Sun 68K machines?  I've seen a report
that a Psion 5 running 1.5.2 got 90 pystones (I get 72)

2. any ideas how I can speed this up?

OPT=-DNDEBUG -g -O0 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes   -m5307

Some snips from pyconfig.h:

#define WITH_DOC_STRINGS
#undef Py_DEBUG
#define WITH_PYMALLOC

I haven't enabled optimatization yet because I've had such a difficult time even getting
this far, I didn't want to run into compiler errors.

It seems so slow, that test/testall doesn't even produce any output. At least, not after 2
minutes.. Perhaps that's a buffering issue.

# ./python pystone.py
nulltime  0.04
Pystone(1.1) time for 600 passes = 8.27
This machine benchmarks at 72.5514 pystones/second

--
Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
http://www.wecanstopspam.org/                   AOL-IM: BKClements