[Python-Dev] Re: disable writing .py[co]

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
22 Jan 2003 17:49:48 +0100

Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> writes:

>     Martin> Furthermore, mm_cfg is located in /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py. I
>     Martin> believe, as a policy, you should not have binary files in /etc.
>
> I think this view is a bit extreme.

The classification of this view might be irrelevant, though, for the
issue at hand. The original reporter of the bug was using a
LIDS-enhanced Linux kernel, which, in itself, might be a bit
extreme. In any case, this kernel produces diagnostics, and he wants
it to stop producing those diagnostics, by changing the software that
triggers them.

> You fiddle /etc/mail/access and
> sendmail "compiles" it into a Berkeley DB hash file.

Sure. Many people don't have a problem with that. Some would go and
change sendmail so that it places its Berkeley DB files into /var.

Regards,
Martin