[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

Tamito KAJIYAMA kajiyama@grad.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:14:04 +0900

Atsuo Ishimoto <ishimoto@gembook.org> writes:

| (cc'ing another Tamito's mail addr. Tamito, are you wake up?)

Sorry for the late participation.  Things go fast and my thought
is very slow...

I know the python-dev list is a highly technical place of
discussions, but I'd like to explain my personal situation and
related matters.

On my situation: I'm a doctoral candidate and my job has come to
a very tough period.  I do want to volunteer for the great task
of incorporating JapaneseCodecs into the Python distro, but I'm
not sure that I have enough spare time to do it.  I don't want
to admit I cannot do that, but it's very likely.

On the efficiency of my codecs: Honestly speaking, the
priorities with regard to time and space efficiencies during the
development of JapaneseCodecs were very low.  I believe there is
much room for improvements.  The set of mapping tables in the
pure Python codecs would be the very first candidate.

On Suzuki-san's codecs: I had never imagined that JapaneseCodecs
would have a competitor.  I think my codecs package is a good
product, but I don't have such strong confidence that Suzuki-san
has on his work.  I believe his codecs package deserves *the*
default Japanese codecs package only because of his positive
commitment among other advantages.

Anyway, I'm very glad that Atsuo has expressed his favor on my
codecs.  And, thank you, Guido.  I was really relieved with your
thoughtful kindness.

Regards,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <kajiyama@grad.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp>