[Python-Dev] Re: GadflyDA in core? Or as add-on-product?

Stuart Bishop zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:26:06 +1100

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 12:03  PM, Kevin Altis wrote:

> All are embeddable databases, but they each have their pros and cons.
> I can
> see how Gadfly would have a lot of appeal since it can be used as a
> pure
> Python solution. The licensing for MetaKit probably makes it
> inappropriate
> for the Python standard libs, but I'm sure that could be brought up
> with the
> author. PySQLite seems to be the most mature (MetaKit users may
> disagree),
> certainly SQLite is better documented, has a richer feature set, and
> as a
> bonus the source code is in the public domain! PySQLite appears to be
> quite
> fast.

MetaKit and PySQLite were brought up when discussing this on the
DB-SIG mailing list. However, the major problem is keeping releases of
these third party tools in sync with Python releases. The advantage
of Gadfly is that it has been in maintenance only mode for a few years
now, and can happily be uprooted and replanted in the Python CVS
repository.

--
Stuart Bishop <zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au>
http://shangri-la.dropbear.id.au/