[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
16 Jan 2003 16:02:48 +0100

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> Also, are there (apart from implementation technology) differences in
> features between the two?  Do they always produce the same results?

The JapaneseCodecs package comes with both Python and C versions of
the codecs. It includes more encodings, in particular the cp932 codec,
which is used on Windows (cp932 used to be understood as a synonym for
shift-jis, but that understanding is incorrect, so these are
considered as two different encodings these days).

I believe they produce different output, but haven't tested.

Hisao complains that Tamito's codecs don't include the full source for
the generated files, but I believe (without testing) that you just
need a few files from the Unicode consortium to generate all source
code.

> Would this kill Tamito's codecs, or are those still preferred for
> people doing a lot of Japanese?

As long as Python doesn't provide cp932, people will still install the
JapaneseCodecs.

Regards,
Martin