[Python-Dev] Re: Extension modules, Threading, and the GIL

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:47:57 +1100

> I would advise to follow Tim's strategy: Make TLS part of the thread_*
> files, accept that on some threading configuration, there won't be TLS
> until somebody implements it, and make TLS usage part of the core
> instead of part of the extension module.
>
> I doubt any of the potential TLS providers supports more than Win32 or
> pthreads.

Yeah, I'm not crazy on the idea myself - but I think it has merit.  I'm
thinking mainly of xpcom, which has pretty reasonable support beyond
pthreads and win32 - but I am more than happy to stick it in the YAGNI
basket.

Mark.