[Python-Dev] Re: [ann] Minimal Python project

Kevin J. Butler python-kbutler@sabaydi.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:41:04 -0700

>From: holger krekel <pyth@trillke.net>
>
>We announce a mailinglist dedicated to developing
>a "Minimal Python" version.  Minimal means that
>we want to have a very small C-core and as much
>as possible (re)implemented in python itself.  This
>includes (parts of) the VM-Code.
>
>From: Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>
>Way cool.

+1

I've been thinking of proposing a very similar thing - though I was
thinking "Python in Python" which suggest all sorts of interesting logo
ideas.  :-)

>We are very interested in learning about and
>integrating prior art.  And in hearing any
>doubtful or reinforcing opinions.  Expertise
>is welcomed in all areas.

The Squeak Smalltalk implementation is interesting & relevant:
http://www.squeak.org/features/vm.html

The Squeak VM is written in a subset of Smalltalk ("Slang", different
from "S-lang") that can be translated directly to C.  This core provides
the interpreter for the rest of the language, allowing the entire system
to be very portable, and it facilitates development in many ways - you
get to work on the core while working in your favorite language, you get
to use all your favorite tools, etc.  Plus I expect the translatable
subset provides a solid, simple basis for integrating external code.

I think a similar approach would be very useful in Minimal Python (...
in Python), probably adopting ideas from Psyco
http://psyco.sourceforge.net/ and/or Pyrex
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/ as the foundation
for the "compilable subset".

This would also provide a nice basis for a Jython implementation...

Can-I-play-with-it-yet?-ly y'rs,

kb