[Python-Dev] Re: new bytecode results

Dan Sugalski dan@sidhe.org
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:49:25 -0500

At 5:14 PM -0500 2/27/03, Damien Morton wrote:
>"Dan Sugalski" <dan@sidhe.org>
>>  At 1:54 PM -0500 2/27/03, Damien Morton wrote:
>>  >In general, it would seem that adding opcodes in bulk, even if many
>opcodes
>>  >switch to the same labels, results in a minor performance loss.
>>
>>  While I'm somewhat loathe to help you guys go faster (that whole pie
>>  thing) you might want to take a look at commonly used pairs of
>>  opcodes and reordering the code in the switch body so pairs are
>>  adjacent and more likely to be in cache.
>
>I caught the whole pie conversation, but I missed how you were going to test
>Parrot against Python.
>
>How exactly will this competion be measured?

We've still got to hash out the details, but in december someone'll
generate a bytecode file for the program(s) we're going to be
running. We both get to run converters/optimizers over them if we
choose. Then at the 2004 OSCON we'll run the converted programs and
whichever takes less time (we've not set whether it's wall or CPU
time, though I'm tempted to go for CPU so neither gets penalized for
the odd background task that might be running) wins.

The official details, limits, and pie flavors will likely be set at
this summer's OSCON.
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk