[Python-Dev] New syntax threads -- summary wanted

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:03:45 -0800 (PST)

[Guido van Rossum]

> I am asking everyone who has participated in the thread(s) about new
> syntax (with, thunks, etc.) to hold off posting for a day, and think
> about summarizing the state of the discussion.  Then if someone could
> post a summary of the various proposals on the table, with the key
> arguments pro and con for each, I'd like to start continuing.  The
> goal at this point should be one or more PEPs.  If you would like to
> volunteer to (co-)author a thread summary, please post to the list.
> The first volunteer to post gets to coordinate the others.

So Guido made this request on Wed. morning EST and so far no one beyond me
has responded.  Well, I am going to be starting on my rough of the summary
in the near future.  Now obviously I need a summary of what occured in the
thread.  This can happen one of two ways.

One is that people summarize the parts of the thread that they heavily
participated in and I build off of those (such as the PEP Paul and Michael
are working on for the 'with' protocol; what is the ETA on that, you
guys?).  The other is that I do the summary.  Now, you might be saying,
"hey, I will just let Brett do the summary and not worry about it!"  Bad
idea.  =)  I doubt I will do the proposals justice, let alone I personally
do not love some of the proposals so bias might (more like will, but I am
trying to give the appearance of objectivity =) seep in.

But if the latter does occur, I will post the summaries here as soon as I
do them separate from the official Summary.

Then I can start discussing my atomic keyword idea again without getting
into trouble.  =)

-Brett