[Python-Dev] For review: PEP 307 - Extensions to the pickle protocol

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:49:55 -0500

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Aahz:
>>
>> I'm mildly concerned about giving extension opcodes specifically to
>> "Zope 3".  Is there some reason we shouldn't just make that "Zope"?
>
> I doubt that Zope 2 will ever be using pickle protocol 2.
>
> Anyway, the class names are all different, so Zope 2 and Zope 3 would
> require different extension ranges.

Actually, I was thinking more about Zope 4.  ;-)  My point was that for
all the interaction between Python and Zope, they're separate software
products, and I don't think the PSF should get involved in Zope version
numbers.  Just give the range to Zope and let them decide how to use it.

This IMO sets a good precedent when it comes time to hand out ranges to
other companies.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Register for PyCon now!  http://www.python.org/pycon/reg.html