[Python-Dev] Re: How to lose potential users/developers

holger krekel pyth@devel.trillke.net
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:47:25 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > So, crazy idea for the morning.  Split that sentence up: have one
> > list (probably the existing python-dev) where the future of the
> > language is discussed.  Have another (python-implementors) where
> > anything that does not have a short-to-medium term effect on the
> > code in Python CVS is strictly forbidden.  Can this be made to work?
> > Or maybe the last month or so has been the exception and this list
> > will just naturally reqcquire some of it's focus.
>
> *If* we were to split this up, I'd rather create a new list for wild
> and crazy ideas.  But I'm -0 on splitting -- it wouldn't help *me*
> because I'd want to be on both lists anyway, and I'm not sure how many
> others are helped by it either -- I imagine that most people would
> want to be on both lists.  Keeping traffic truly separated would
> require more policing of the list than I'd feel comfortable with.  I'm
> already uncomfortable with the tone of the messages that are sometimes
> sent in reply to incidental "inappropriate" postings by first-time
> posters.

I am one of those developers who hasn't yet contributed much to
Python core and still took the freedom to discuss wild ideas
(based on an actually working patch which is currently tested out
by a 3D-company, though).

I am willing to start working on fixing bugs but i'd appreciate
occasionally discussing blue-sky ideas.  Not reading certain threads
is quite easy with appropriate mail/news readers, anyway.

Actually, Guido kind of encouraged quite some people by saying
that he is exploring certain 'thunk' and timely-finalization
constructs.

I am glad that Guido brings up the issue of 'tone of redirection
messages' and support the idea of doing it in the friendliest
way possible.  If someone insists and disregards comments then
that is a different matter, of course.

IMO c.l.py neticens still manage to stay friendly although
<insert your favourite annoyance here> happen dailiy.  And
that is a very good thing which makes the python community
quite unique.

    holger