[Python-Dev] Re: native code compiler? (or, OCaml vs. Python)

Dan Sugalski dan@sidhe.org
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:35:09 -0500

At 1:15 PM -0500 2/3/03, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>  > At 12:00 PM +0100 2/3/03, Christian Tismer wrote:
>>  >Dan Sugalski wrote:
>>  >...
>>  >
>>  >>If you want to bet, I'll put up $10 and a round of beer (or other
>>  >>beverage of your choice) at OSCON 2004 for all the python labs &
>>  >>zope folks that says parrot beats the current python interpreter
>>  >>when running all the python benchmark suite programs (that don't
>>  >>depend on extensions written in C, since we're shooting for pure
>>  >>engine performance) from bytecode. Game?
>>  >
>>  >Do you mean the current Python interpreter of 2004?
>>  >That could be quite a different beast...
>>
>>  While it could be, that's unlikely. Still, that'd be part of the
>>  ground rules we'd work out if someone takes me up on the challenge.
>
>I'm in.  Given how low you set your stakes, I don't think you're very
>confident, so I'd like to call your bluff. :-)

The stakes are low because I have to pony up the cash if I lose--my
budget's limited, and regardless of how confident I am of winning, if
I put up a lot, my wife will kill me dead for making the challenge
and, well I think I'd rather avoid that. :)

Shall we, then, arrange the details at OSCON 2003, if you'll be
there? I expect we can twist the conference organizer's arm into
letting us make a tiny announcement near the end...
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk