[Python-Dev] Extended Function syntax

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:41:27 -0800 (PST)

[Samuele Pedroni]

> From: "Samuele Pedroni" <pedronis@bluewin.ch>
> >
> > you're right, you would also get this idiom for iterators that support also
> the
> > 'with' protocol:
> >
> > with myfile = auto_closing_file('blah.txt', 'rb'):
> >   for line in myfile:
> >

> With Guido's 'do', you could define an iterclose():
>
> do iterclose(open('blah.txt','rb')): (line):

Could we possibly flesh out both of these examples to what would amount to
working code (including code that would manipulate what they create by
searching for "Python" in each line) in a single email?  I would like to
make sure that I am comprehending how this will all work in the end.

So if someone (read: Guido and Samuele =) could implement a file that
auto-closes once the iterator on the file is exhausted with each
suggestion I would *really* appreciate it.  And if there could even be
code given that used what these things returned by searching each returned
line for the word "Python" would be great as well.  That way we not only
see how the new syntax would work, but we also see how code is going to
interface with what the new code generates.

-Brett