[Python-Dev] Re: Switching to VC.NET 2003

Paolo Invernizzi paoloinvernizzi at dmsware.com
Mon Dec 29 17:23:01 EST 2003

Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> If I were maintaining the
> Windows port (which I'm not), I would dislike the solution because it
> would mean I have to learn scons...

It is only an alternative to learning a new tool for converting VC
project files to nmake specific makefile.

> I cannot
> make modifications to the projects in the IDE, because I would have
> to make the modifications in the scons files, not in the VC projects.

That's true. You have to make the modifications in the scons file, but
that modifications (usually adding or removing some c module, or I'm
missing something?) can be used by VC/cygwin/mgwin/*nix user... potentially.

> Such a free solution is already available, through cygwin/mingw.

But that leave you with the original problem... makefiles for the free
microsoft compiler...

> However, this is free software, so if you are interested, feel free
> to contribute. If you want your contribution be accepted, be prepared
> to answer "yes" to the question "Are you going to maintain the build
> process for the next three years"?

> If somebody volunteers to maintain such a build process, I would not
> object to having this process in parallel to the VC build process
> (to which I'm willing to contribute, for the next three years).

I'm not actually in the position to reply "yes" to that question, I have
too few spare time... but you are tempting me... :-)

It was just an alternative suggestion that come in my mind after having
read previous threads.

I've done some month ago a scratch scons script for VC6 and VC7
compilation of the core python dll, pythonw.exe and python.exe...

I must take a look to my messy sandbox at works!

---
Paolo Invernizzi